Sunday, February 15, 2009

How to cheat your IT department!

Q:How does IT department get the information about the software which you have installed on your office's PC?
A:Simple as ABC, they get the information from our registry which keep all the data regarding the installed software.In my case, my company IT dept using "Uninstall" registry to get the information.

Therefore i decided to make a tutorial on how to rename the software installed on your PC
Important notes: You must have authorization to access the registry editor interface.

For this tutorial. I take Yahoo! Messenger as example.


Step 1: Click Start -> Run -> type regedit and click OK

Step 2: On the left hand side, there is drop-down menu. Use the menu and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall".


Step 3: Click the "+" sign to list down entire installed software list. Then click on Yahoo! Messenger(for example) folder. On your right hand side, some data will be displayed.


Step 4: To rename, simply double click on DisplayName, a Edit String box will pop up.
In this box, you may change the software name to whatever you want. In my case i renamed to "Microsoft Word"



Step 5: After rename it, click OK and close the Registry Editor window.If you open the add/remove programs, you won't see Yahoo! Messenger anymore! and IT dept will detect your Yahoo! Messenger as Microsoft Word!


Happy trying!

P/S: I have tried this method on my PC, Unfortunately I've renamed the software as "nasi goreng" and "roti canai" as I don't have any idea that time. Thus, my IT dept detected it as external/private/illegal software and the worst thing was, IT dept already spread the list of those software including the PC name to all departments.Malu wor..all departments already knew I've installed the software which using traditional food name. LOL!. So it advisable to rename to appropriate name for example:Microsoft Word

2 comments: